Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Preface: The Stander

Mostly, I write short fictional tales and fables. But recently, with the passage of San Francisco's ridiculous Sit Lie law, I saw a future flash before me: a world the simple act of sitting becomes a such as dastardly act that the authorities create a new punishment -- standing in the shadows all day long. These Standers, as they are called, must silently stand there as people run their errands, head to and from work, or go for a stroll.

The authorities thought it was a brilliant punishment as this way the passersby would constantly be reminded of the dangers of sitting on sidewalks; it would act as a natural deterrent. But there is a growing rebellion brewing in one Stander's imagination.

This is the preface to the story. It gives a taste. And if you think it couldn't happen...? Remember, I, too, thought the passage of this law was but a hallucination. Sadly, the dystopic futures are closer than any ever imagined.


***
I'm pretending again that I am standing alone at the beep beep Beeps. Only I'm not. There is a frightened boy who clutches trinkets too. He is in that spot where hunger awaits anger. It's surfacing. I can tell. I'm here too. It is why I pretend. He'll learn soon enough how not to smell the charring beef or sizzling oil. It takes time. Years in fact. But slowly it goes away. Mostly.

I still can't not smell onions. They're too sweet and teary. I can't tell why I'm ever crying. This isn't a pretending I should repeat. But I always come back because I've never left. In fact, I'm not sure I can remember before the beep beep Beeps. There is no physical memory of running. My knees don't remember the weight of movement only the burden of stance.

blog comments powered by Disqus